Sustainability & Stewardship
The U.S. Dairy Sustainability Awards program celebrates excellence in collaborations, partnerships and innovations across the dairy value chain. Here are a few highlights from our award-winning members and others making a difference:
- Agri-Mark, Inc.-Known for their series of sustainability projects, the dairy-farm families of Agri-Mark dairy cooperative took a closed-loop approach, recycling cow manure, food scraps and food processing byproducts to produce renewable energy.
- Glanbia Nutritionals-As one of the leading manufacturers of American-style cheese and whey, the company was recognized for its adoption of a global sustainability strategy that promises to "nurture, grow and sustain the lives of our employees, milk producers, customers, consumers and communities."
- Hilmar-now has 100% of their reclaimed water being recycled and reused, most for crop irrigation. Read about their commitment to sustainability in the ninth annual report.
- Schreiber Foods-Learn how a collaboration between Schreiber Foods Inc. and Foremost Farms USA created a state-of-the-art water-treatment facility that can treat up to 1.4 million gallons of water per day using anaerobic digesters, serving as a road map for other dairy production facilities wanting to manage waste streams. They also reduced shredded-cheese packaging by 10 percent while keeping the same amount of cheese in the bag.
Latest News and Achievements
- Since 2014, proactive improvements to their supply chain and distribution have reduced their CO2 emissions by 7,800 tons annually. For example, by reducing total truck-miles traveled, they cut our freight-related annual CO2 emissions by 110 metric tons compared with our 2013 starting point.
- Met rising product demand without increasing energy use by focusing on ways to efficiently expand production capacity. Since 2014, they decreased energy intensity (kWh/unit of end product) by 21 percent.
- Investments in water recycling technology resulted in annual wastewater savings of 110 million gallons annually.