U.S. Dairy Products > Whey Protein & Ingredients > Whey Categories
Whey protein isolate (WPI) is obtained by removing sufficient non-protein constituents from whey so that the finished dry product contains 90% protein or greater. WPI is produced by physical or chemical separation techniques such as filtration or ion exchange. Acidity may be adjusted by the addition of safe and suitable pH ingredients.
|Protein (as is)||90.0% - 92.0%|
|Lactose||0.5% - 1.0%|
|Fat||0.5% - 1.0%|
|Ash||2.0% - 3.0%|
Physical and Chemical Characteristics
|Typical Microbiological Analysis:|
|Standard plate count||< 10-30,000/g|
|Scorched particle content||7.5 - 15.0 mg|
Typical recommendations are to store and ship in a cool, dry environment with temperatures of less than 27°C and relative humidity less than 65%. Use within 9 to 12 months. Check with your suppliers for actual storage and specifications as they may vary.
For dairy, bakery, meat, snack, confectionery, and other food and nutritional products as:
- A concentrated source of highly nutritional, high-quality protein for supplementation
- A source of protein that is soluble or forms a stable colloidal dispersion at ambient temperature and under all pH conditions
- A source of protein with good emulsifying, fat binding and water binding/thickening properties
- A source of protein with good heat-setting (gelling) and whipping properties
* Information on this page is for general information only. Please contact your U.S. whey products supplier for exact specifications, nutritional and functional information.