U.S. Dairy Products > Whey Protein & Ingredients > Whey Categories
Sweet Whey Powder
Sweet whey powder is obtained by drying fresh whey (derived during the manufacture of cheeses such as cheddar and swiss) that has been pasteurized and to which nothing has been added as a preservative. Sweet whey powder contains all the constituents of fresh whey, except moisture, in the same relative proportion.
|Protein||11.0% - 14.5%|
|Lactose||63.0% - 75.0%|
|Fat||1.0% - 1.5%|
|Ash||8.2% - 8.8%|
|Moisture||3.5% - 5.0%|
Physical and Chemical Characteristics
|Typical Microbiological Analysis:|
|Standard plate count||
|Scorched particle content||7.5-15.0 mg|
|Color||Off-white to cream|
|Flavor||Normal whey flavor|
Typical recommendations are to store and ship in a cool, dry environment at temperatures less than 27°C and relative humidity less than 65%. Use within 6 to 12 months. Check with your suppliers for actual storage and specification requirements as they may vary.
For dairy, bakery, snack, confectionery, and other food products as:
- An economical source of dairy solids with 8% to 9% salt/ash content
- A means to enhance color development during high-temperature cooking and baking
- A source of high-heat processed dairy solids, important for good loaf volume in breads
- A free-flowing, easy-to-disperse carrier in dry blends when classified as a non-hygroscopic whey powder
* Information on this page is for general information only. Please contact your U.S. whey products supplier for exact specifications, nutritional and functional information.